Here’s hoping everyone had a Merry Christmas yesterday!
It’s pretty easy to see that we’re in the winter season – there are lots of live music opportunities right now. Add to that the fact that students are home for Christmas break, and New Year’s Eve is just around the corner, and you can be guaranteed there will lots of great music this week throughout the county.
Check out our music schedule below and see what awaits you. For example,
Papa Charlie’s has added its Apres-Ski acoustic sets over the weekend, featuring a wide variety of local musicians, and there are lots of choices for New Year’s parties.
Of particular note is Michael Monroe’s Log Cabin concerts. He will hold one on Saturday, Dec. 28 at him home in rural Grand Marais and then a New Year’s concert on Tuesday night featuring Jim Brandenburg images.
And, Monroe’s Log Cabin concerts will be featured on Jason Davis’ “On the Road” program on KSTP Dec. 29 and will be broadcast on WDIO-TV in Duluth. Check television schedules for times.
Davis previously filmed Monroe and his wife Deb Mueller in their rustic solar-powered log cabin in Hovland nearly 17 years ago. Monroe created the soundtrack for Davis’ program, “Soaring On Mended Wings” for which they both received regional Emmys. For more information, call 387-2919.
Monroe will be on WTIP’s The Roadhouse on Friday night to talk about his work and the TV special as well as sing a few tunes. The show is aired from 5-7 p.m.
Another holiday tradition will be held this weekend, too, at Naniboujou Lodge where they will hold the 29th annual Christmas Caroled Dinners on two evenings: Dec. 27 & 28. Punch is served at 6 p.m., dinner seating begins at 6:30 p.m. The events features guest Chef Ron Berg. Reservations are required for this tasty and musical holiday event. Call 218-387-2688.
Also on Saturday, Papa Charlie’s features the Buckets & Tap Shoes, a multi-talented cast of performers who create music with 5-gallon paint buckets, metal cans, found objects, tap shoes, as well as traditional instruments including electric guitar, bass, keyboards and drums. The performance starts at 8:30 p.m. Free and open to the public.
In other art news, the Holiday Art Underground Show continues at Betsy Bowen’s Studio Gallery through Dec. 31 featuring Bowen’s woodcut prints and a variety of work by local artists. The gallery is open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday through Saturday.
The Lake Superior Trading Post has a new book by Cary J. Griffith. “Wolves: A Northern Minnesota Mystery.” He previously wrote the popular boo, “Lost in the Wild.”
The Garage has a variety of work by local artists including jewelry, notecards and dreamcatcher earings by Jane Richards, jewelry by Joan Beard and hand-turned bowls by Cooper Terns.
Birchbark Books & Gifts will be open through the end of the month and have a variety of books by local authros including Roger MacDonald’s “A Country Doctor’s Casebook” Eugene Gladers’ “Downtown Grand Marais” and five books by John Henricksson including “Gunflint: The Trail, The People, The Stories.”
And not to forget the New Year’s Festival at Lutsen Mountains with a torchlight parade, fireworks and more.
Here’s the music this week:
- Joe Paulik Band, Gunflint Tavern, 8:30 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 27:
- Mark Darling, Gunflint Lodge (on the Gunflint Trail), noon.
- Pete Kavanaugh, Apres-Ski at Papa Charlie’s, 3:15 p.m.
- The Sivertones, Apres-Ski at Papa Charlie’s, 6:45 p.m.
- Boyd “Bump” Blomberg, Lutsen Resort Lobby, 7 p.m.
- Black River Revue, Gunflint Tavern, 8:30 p.m.
- Joe & Jessi, Bluefin Grille, Tofte, 9 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 28:
- Mark Darling, Gunflint Lodge, noon
- James Moors, Apres-Ski at Papa Charlie’s, 3:15 p.m.
- Jame Moors, Lusten Resort Lobby, 7 p.m.
- Michael Monroe’s Log Cabin Concert, rural Grand Marais, 7 p.m. Call 387-2919.
- Bucket & Tap Shoes, Papa Charlie’s, 8:30 p.m.
- Black River Revue, Gunflint Tavern, 9:30 p.m.
Sunday, Dec. 29:
- Joe Paulik, Papa Charlie’s, 6:45 p.m.
- Timmy Haus, Papa Charlie’s, 9 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 30:
- Al Oikari and Rod Dockan, Apres-Ski, Papa Charlie’s, 3:15 p.m.
- James Moors, Apres-Ski, Papa Charlie’s, 6:45 p.m.
- Jim & Michelle Miller, Lutsen Resort, 7 p.m.
- Joe Paulik Band, Papa Charlie’s, 9:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 31:
- Boyd “Bump” Blomberg, Apres-Ski, Papa Charlie’s, 3:15 p.m.
- Eric Frost, Apres-Ski Papa Charlie’s, 6:45 p.m.
- Jim Miller, New Year’s Eve at Cascade Lodge Pub, 7 p.m.
- Michael Monroe, New Year’s Eve Log Cabin Concert, 7 p.m., 387-2919
- Cook County’s Most Wanted, New Year’s Eve, Gunflint Tavern, 9 p.m.
- Timmy Haus, New Year’s Eve at The Landing, 9 p.m.
- New Year’s Eve with Eric Frost & Friends, the Bluefin Grille, 1o p.m.
- Robby Vee on New Year’s Eve, Grand Portage Lodge & Casino, 9 p.m.
- New Year’s with DJ D’Angelo, Papa Charlie’s, 9:30 p.m.
Here are the photos for this week:
We thought we’d start with one of the incredible photos of Grand Marais and the harbor we found from winter last year. This one was taken by Bryan Hansel.
And here’s a Lake Superior storm photo from Layne Kennedy. We’r'e not sure whether it was taken this year or last year, but it’s awesome either way.
Here’s another beautiful shot by Bryan Hansel.
Mike Wiggins, Jr. posted this portrait of Lake Superior on the morning of the Winter Solstice.
Here’s another shot of Lake Superior on the morning of the Solstice. This one was taken by John Heino.
Travis Novitsky took this wonderful photo this week, too.
Paul Pluskwik took this photo on Christmas Eve morning.
Christian Dalbec took this icy shot in Two Harbors recently.
And finally, this one from David Johnson.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!